The Place Hold service allows you to ask library staff to pull items from the ECU Libraries' shelves
for your use and allows you to be added to a waiting list to be notified when a checked out item is returned.
Requested items from Joyner Library and the Music Library are usually pulled within 24-48 hours. Requested
items from the Laupus Health Sciences Library are usually pulled within 48-72 hours. You may place holds on
materials in all three ECU libraries and choose the library where you would like to pick up the items.
Place Hold Instructions with Screenshots
Place Hold Tutorial Video
- ECU students, faculty, staff, and anyone with a Joyner Library borrower card may use this service.
- Distance Education students living outside Pitt County should request materials via Joyner's Document Delivery service.
- Pulled materials will be held for you three days. After three days, the materials will be placed back on the shelves for others to check out.
Checked Out Items
- Materials with a due date in the Location field in the catalog record will have a hold placed on them for you. You will be notified when the item has been returned, sometimes weeks to months later.
- ECU students, faculty, and staff who need a title sooner than that may place a Recall Request to have them item recalled from the person who currently has it for your use. All ECU students, faculty, and staff are guaranteed at least one full checkout period for the item or 28 days, whichever is less, so even with a recall you might have to wait days or weeks.
- ECU students, faculty, and staff may also request an interlibrary loan for titles. This asks Joyner Library to ask other libraries to lend us their copy of the title for you to borrow. For details on interlibrary loan, visit the Joyner Interlibrary Loan and the Laupus Document Delivery service webpages.
Material & Collection Restrictions
- Some library materials are not eligible for the Place Hold service, including those in Reference, Microforms, Current Periodicals, Manuscripts and Rare Books, University Archives, and most other non-circulating materials at the three libraries. If you need to consult these materials and do not know where they are in the library, please ask for assistance at any of the ECU Libraries' service desks.
Order of Request Processing
- There might be times when there are multiple hold requests for the same titles. In such cases, the request received first will be the one fulfilled -- unless one of the requests is to have the title placed on Course Reserve.
Time Required / Rush Processing
- Place Hold requests from Joyner Library and the Music Library will usually be available for pickup within 24-48 hours, excluding weekends and holidays. Requested items from Laupus Library will usually be available within 48-72 hours, excluding weekends and holidays. Staff and student employee absences or other library priorities may delay fulfillment further, though.
- If you have selected for items to be delivered from one library to another one, availability might be delayed by an additional day.
- You will be notified by e-mail when your requests have been pulled and are available for pick up at the library.
- Unfortunately, rush requests are not accepted. If you need an item quickly and need assistance locating it in a library, please ask for assistance at any of the library's service desks.
- Titles will be checked out to your ECU Libraries' account when you pick them up. Your due dates will be determined by your university status (undergraduate student, graduate student, staff member, faculty member, etc.). Since loan periods differ depending on the library that owns the materials, consult the Laupus Library circulation policy and the Joyner Library/Music Library circulation policy for details or ask a library employee at the service desk.
- Questions about the Place Hold service may be directed to any of the libraries. Questions about a specific hold request should be directed to the library that owns the requested material, if you remember.